Thursday, April 1, 2010

Mrs. Potter Palmer

Here is a little blurb about a woman I am fascinated with, Bertha Honore Palmer, the famous Mrs. Potter Palmer, soial leader in Chicago, London and elsewhere on the continent in the Edwardian age.


 I was first attracted to her when I saw her portrait hanging in the Art Institute of Chicago. When I was a little girl, we often went there to see the exhibits. She was my favorite, the perfect fairy princess, although I probably spent lots more time in the Thorne Rooms. Mrs. Palmer bought and donated many of the AIC's incredible collection of French Impressionists.

There was a wonderful picture, almost similar, that I loved in one of the Raggedy Ann and Andy books. The title is Raggedy Ann's Lucky Pennies. She is Sylvia but sometimes she is Wanda-the-Witch. My secret identity as the princess was one or the other of these images. Lots of magic in all these ideas!


I loved all the Raggedy Ann and Andy books. My bedroom in the house at 653 St. John St. was decorated with R&R fabric in the bedspreads and curtains.  I especially love how Raggedy Ann does dishes. Because they are made of powdered sugar, when you are done eating the meal, you eat the plates.  And then there are the wind sandwiches. Two slices of wind with more wind between them. A great diet plan!




The Thorne Rooms are quit amazing.  I don't know much about them but I have seen all of  them in Chicago, and more in Phoenix and in Naples, FL where some were displayed at the galleries within the Phil.

No comments:

Post a Comment